History of the school
On the 5th of November 1867, an application by interested parents to form a school was forwarded to the Board of Education for their approval.
In 1869, two acres of Crown Land from the Green Hills reserve was gazetted for the site of the school. The proposed 27 feet by 18 feet school was to be built of stone with a shingle roof at an estimated cost of two hundred & two pounds, made up of schoolroom, one hundred pounds, residence, seventy four pounds, outhouse eight pounds and furniture and requisites twenty pounds. On the 20th of July 1869, Mr. John Dunstan was appointed as teacher to the school, with Mrs. Jane Dunstan as work mistress. In 1879 a further three acres was gazetted.
Thursday 11th March 1965, fire struck the whole district, all that was left of the school were the toilets. Students travelled to Bacchus Marsh State School and continued their studies until the present building was completed.
In 1994 Sydenham West Primary School merged with Toolern Vale on the Toolern Vale site and the school was re-named Toolern Vale and District Primary School.
Throughout the early history of the school the local people supported their school very strongly. Through the community they continually promoted, maintained and developed their school.
This commitment continues today and parents are actively involved in all aspects of school life. Toolern Vale is a family orientated school set in a beautiful natural environment.
2019 is the year we celebrate our 150th Anniversary.